LIBERATION MONUMENTWithin a complete renovation of the SNP Square approved In 1972 a new monument commemorating the liberation of Rajec at the end of World War II should have been erected. At that time the state authorities wanted to underline the importance of the town in the times of the Slovak National Uprising and to highlight its role in the fight against fascism.
The choice of its location in the northeast corner of the square was not random. It became part of the main view over the new municipal office of typical Socialist Realistic urban design built in 1950. The monument of a female figure holding a linden branch over its head was ceremoniously unveiled on April 29, 1976 on the occasion of the 31st anniversary of the town’s liberation. Its authors were the academic sculptor Rudolf Pribiš (1913 – 1984) and the important Slovak architect Eugen Kramár (1914 – 1996).
The pedestal of the monument consists of three square blocks with a gray Silesian granite cladding on which a trapezoidal panel of exposed concrete is mounted in the diagonal direction. On its main south side there is a three-meter-high metal relief expressing the idea of liberation by a figure of a young woman in a flowing dress. The branch in her raised right hand symbolizes the long-awaited peace. The opposite and partially shifted northern side of the panel is divided by four vertical notches which evoke the impression of a flame or a fire torch. In its lower part there used to be ideological symbols of the then regime – a scythe and a hammer. After 1989 the symbols were removed. On the other hand, the years 1944 and 1945 can be found engraved on the narrower sides of the monument – 1944 as the year of the outbreak of the Slovak National Uprising and 1945 as the end of World War II.
The monument became a national cultural monument in 1981 and is not only a valuable artistic monument but also a monument documenting the period of its origin and the political regime of that time.